Moving involves change, emotions, decisions and energy! From rental boxes to utilities to moving in, here is a checklist to help you with a more efficient and organized move.
Before the move:
- Get at least 3 estimates from moving companies (if you plan to hire)
- For a DIY move, approach and designate helpers for the various move aspects (packing, moving, unpacking…)
Utilities, Subscriptions, Change of Address
- Notify providers (Canada Post, Hydro, phone/internet, magazine/newspaper subscriptions) at least 1 month prior to your move date.
- Arrange the utilities disconnect for the day after the move, and connect a few days before arrival in new address
- Don’t forget about notifying credit card companies, banks, friends and relatives, drivers license, employer, any other necessary companies and organizations
- Arrange to have any pets watched by friends / family or a kennel in order to eliminate potential stress or misplacement
Preparing to move:
Pack One Room at a Time and…
- Label sides of boxes rather than tops (so when stacked, labels remain visible). Clearly label each box with your name, its general contents, “Fragile” if contents are breakable, and which new room each box will belong in. Refrain from noting anything valuable on the outside of a box.
- When disassembling furniture, keep all hardware in a small sealable plastic bag and attach it with tape to the corresponding piece
- Have basic tools on hand for disassembly
- Use boxes that are clean and dry. Wardrobe boxes are best for moving hanging garments.
GoBAC will drop off reusable moving boxes for your move and pick them up afterwards. We also provide packing paper, labels and other rentable moving supplies.
- Have a pen and notepad on hand.
- Note inventory, if you are doing a self move, including inventory valuables for replacement value in case of insurance claim.
- Have any area rugs professionally cleaned before moving. They will be available to pick up from the cleaners pre-rolled, wrapped, and ready for moving.
- Use cling-wrap to secure doors and or drawers on cabinets and chests. Since it adheres to itself it will leave no adhesive residue.
For your arrival
Pack a first-night box. After a full and hectic day of moving, you will be thankful to have access to some immediate necessities for your first night (and not have to go searching far through boxes):
- Basic tools
- Bed linens
- Change of clothes for everyone in the household
- Cleaning supplies
- Plates, glasses, and cutlery (consider disposable)
- Light bulbs
- First aid kit (including medicine)
- Napkins or paper towels
- A few towels
- Toys for children and pets
- Garbage bag(s)
- Lock windows
- Turn off lights
- Close doors
- Take a final tour after the move is finished, to make sure nothing is left behind.
- Have cash on hand to pay your movers, and / or for ordering food at the end of your big day.